Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Back surgery and recovery

After back surgery for a compressed nerve, will I be back to normal?

Are you joking? Most patients are many times worse. So if you have not had surgery, think again and still, I would not recommend back surgery. The majority of patients who undergo back surgery are disabled for life. Of course, you will always meet one patient, who is ok, but that is rare. My best advice is do some type of exercise, lose weight and take painkillers. Unless the back surgery is for a life threatening condition, I would not advise.


I am a surgeon and have seen these orthopedic and neurosurgeons operate. Most are very poor technical surgeons and complications are common. You will a lot longer and have a better quality of life if you keep away from neck and back surgeons.