Thursday, December 12, 2013

Traveling as a diabetic

I am traveling outside the country and am a type 1 diabetic. I am on an insulin pump. What supplies do I need?

Well, it depends where you are traveling. In most of Europe, you can get all the supplies but if you travel to Africa or some parts of Central America, you will be out of luck. My best advice for diabetics who travel is to carry their own syringes and your own supplies. You never know the status of the healthcare facilities outside the USA. If you are on an insulin pump, my advice is buy an insulin pen, which is easier to use and associated with fewer hassles. Going with an insulin pump overseas can be tricky, because the supplies may not match what your are using. Rest assured, vacation resorts will bring in their own doctors who will sell you insulin/syringes at exorbitant prices.